A shout out to Ashoka….
Ashoka would have to be the one of the first main promoting organisations for the social entrepreneur movement.
Founded by Bill Drayton they have led the way for the past 30 years or more helping establish the values of social entrepreneurship.
I love what Ashoka say about Social Entrepreneur on their website:
“Rather than leaving societal needs for the government or business sectors to address, social entrepreneurs are creating innovative solutions, delivering extraordinary results, and improving the lives of millions of people.”
This is the heart of a true social entrepreneur, Ashoka don’t pass the buck or ask someone else to fix the problem, they decide to “own” the problem and fix it themselves.
The Ashoka organisation seem to take this to a whole new level by helping entrepreneurs see the true value of this amazing global changing program.
We believe that when entrepreneurs create change they can change the globe.
Let’s face it, money seems to play a big role in the world and where the money is, so is the influence.
It is just up to us to take the God given abilities that we all have to use our gifts and the money they bring to change the world.
Ashoka help people to see that the Social Entrepreneur program is the way of today to create the greatest changes in the world.
Let’s look at what Ashoka says on their website:
Knowing History with Ashoka…..
- We are in the midst of a rare, fundamental structural change in society: citizens and citizen groups are beginning to operate with the same entrepreneurial and competitive skill that has driven business ahead over the last three centuries. People all around the world are no longer sitting passively idle; they are beginning to see that change can happen and that they can make it happen.
- The result of this transformation will ultimately be a world where all individuals will be able to spot challenges, address them, and improve their lives. Rather than a tiny percentage of the world controlling the wealth and making the decisions that effect our lives, every individual will be empowered to determine his or her own future.
…Serving History with Ashoka
- Through our Fellows and our programs, we are providing the framework from which the world can fully participate in the transformation of the citizen sector. The implications this has for the world’s citizens and their capacity to improve their lives are boundless.
- We are in a unique position to communicate the significance and relevance of this historical transformation so individuals, organizations, governments, and businesses can understand how this transformation is relevant to them and how they might contribute to it and benefit.
- As the largest association of leading social entrepreneurs in the world, we know how to bring about change, and we understand what individuals need to make change happen. We have been engaged in learning from and serving this historical movement across the globe for 30 years.
What can we as Christians learn from this, simple. With the help of God and what He can do through us, we can take a hold of the social entrepreneur model, bring funds into His Kingdom and use our gifts to transform the world.
My wife and I personally aim to nourish 100,000 children per month through our business and we can show you how to do the same.
Even though the Ashoka Foundation may not be linked to us, we can learn from what others are doing and apply those examples to do the things God has called us to do.